Find a Consultant

Use this search to find a veterinarian, veterinary behaviorist or a PhD behaviorist who receives animal behavior cases in your area. The American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior (AVSAB) is a membership-only organization of veterinarians and persons holding a PhD in animal behavior or a related field. It does not confer upon its members any qualifications or presuppose a level of expertise in the field of animal behavior. Our organization cannot endorse or specifically recommend anyone. This locater function will provide you with a list of behavior providers who are members of this organization and have an interest in behavior.

Note: If your search comes up without results, you can send an email to our Corresponding Secretary to see if we can find the needed information for you.

Explanation of Credentials

DVM or VMD: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine or Veterinary Medical Doctor. Veterinarians are the only people legally able to diagnose and treat medical and behavioral problems in animals, including prescribing medications to treat those problems.

DACVB: Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists. Person is a veterinarian who has completed an approved residency program in veterinary behavior and has passed a national board examination in that discipline. A board certified Veterinary Behaviorist specializes in clinical animal behavior and is able to diagnose and treat medical and behavioral problems as well as prescribe medications to treat those problems.

PhD: Person has completed a PhD degree in animal behavior or a related field. This degree is research and theory related and does not necessarily imply clinical behavior training. These consultants cannot prescribe medications but often work closely with a veterinarian who can.

Behaviorist: This term is not attached to any specific qualification or level of schooling unless preceded by "veterinary" or "applied animal."  It can be used by anyone, including someone with no formal education in companion animal behavior.